Saturday, April 11, 2009

WordPress.com - Step-by-Step Tutorial on How to Blog

Lately, I have been exploring new blogging platforms in order to better understand the differences. The video tutorial below provided me with information on the features of WordPress. The video is 45 ½ minutes long, but is well worth watching for those who want to learn about the features of WordPress. When I first began blogging in 2008, I tried to set up a WordPress blog, however it was difficult, and I abandoned the set up. The video tutorial simplifies the set up process.

One of the features that I like in WordPress is having a choice in ways to place a link. I like my links to open in a new window and in Blogger, I have to insert the HTML code, which can be a tedious process. In WordPress, you are able to choose the new page as an option when inserting a link. I also like the calendar and search features in WordPress.

One thing I do not like in WordPress is having to make adjustments to the embedded code of a video such as YouTube. In Blogger, you simply copy the embed code in the HTML section of a blog posting. In WordPress, the embedded code has to be edited. I use a lot of YouTube videos, and if I switched to WordPress, I don’t want to have to edit the embed code every time I post a video.


WordPress.com - Step-by-Step Tutorial on How to Blog

6 comments:

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thanks, Dru, for this post. I haven't tried WordPress yet for the very reason that you mentioned - it was complicated. This video should help and I plan to watch this and check it out. Have a wonderful, blessed Easter.

Taneya said...

Dru - what edits do you need to make to the embed code in WP? I use WP for all my blogs and it is extremely powerful, however, if you host a blog on their server, there are more limitations than if you self-host. However, either way, I've never had to alter any of the embed code.. Email me! :-)

Taneya said...

oh, also, I note that the version used in the video is an older version of WP. The latest version makes certain things easier and more streamlined.

Professor Dru said...

Taneya,

I don't remember the exact code for editing, but based on the video, you have to edit the the embed code.

Perhaps this is not necessary with a newer version of WordPress.

Professor Dru said...

Taneya,

This tutorial was posted two years ago, so I'm sure there have been some updates to Word Press during that time.

Cousin Russ said...

Professor Dru ... Thank you for that tutorial. Since it may be dated a little, most of the basics are in the current version that is Online.

Thank you,