Thursday, June 10, 2010

My WDYTYA Episode - Uncle Andy B's Death Records


Thus far, I have two records which provide me with information on Uncle Andy B’s death in 1972. Both records were obtained from the Internet. The first is from the Social Security Death Index (SSDI) and the second is from the U. S. Veterans Gravesites database on www.ancestry.com.

I discovered Uncle Andy B’s social security death index record early on in my research along with SSDI records on four of his sisters, Bell (my great grandmother), Channie, Bessie, and Mima. Uncle Andy B’s SSDI record provided me with four pieces of information and one discrepancy.

Information Provided from SSDI Record

  • Zip code (11412) where he was living at time of death.
  • Residence at time of death (St. Albans, Queens, NY)
  • State where social security card was issued (New York)
  • Month and Year of Death (March 1972)

Discrepancy on SSDI Record

The discrepancy on Uncle Andy B’s SSDI record is that his birthday is indicated as the 31st of July rather than the 4th which is the day listed on other records.

Cemetery Record

Later on in my research I discovered a cemetery record on Uncle Andy B. from the U.S. Veterans Gravesites database, 1775-2006m on www.ancestry.com. This provided me with five pieces of information and one discrepancy.

Information Provided from Cemetery Record

  • Military History: Military Rank, war he served in, and dates of service (SGT WWI, enlisted October 30, 1917)
  • Date of death (March 15, 1972)
  • Date of burial (March 20, 1972)
  • Location of burial site in cemetery (Section 2D, Site 6840)

Discrepancies on Cemetery Record

  • Birth Year Conflict. The year of birth on this cemetery record (1896) conflicts with the year on his SSDI record (1895)

Other Death Records on Uncle Andy B.

  • Death Certificate. Since I am not a direct kin of Uncle Andy B., I will have to wait until March 2022, to obtain his death certificate. This will be the 50th anniversary of his death. Some states live New York have restrictions on who can access vital records. If Uncle Andy B. had died in his home state of North Carolina, than I would not have any problem obtaining his death certificate.
  • Newspaper Obituary. Last week I ordered a newspaper obituary for Uncle Andy B. from the Queens, NY Library. I hope to receive this obituary by the end of the month.

Stay tuned. . . Coming Up! – Professor Dru Discovers Another Military Record for Uncle Andy B.

2 comments:

GeneaDiva said...

Hi Prof. Dru,

Have you contacted the county courthouse in NY for Uncle Andy's military discharge papers? They should be on file there and the funeral home/cemetery might also have a copy in order to secure his Veteran's marker.

I've enjoyed reading your series on Andrew Bullock; great organization and research.

Professor Dru said...

GeneaDiva,

I had not thought to contact the NY courthouse for my uncle's discharge papers. Thanks for this tip.