Saturday, October 24, 2009

Five Mo’ Days and Counting!

In five mo’ days, the International Black Genealogy Summit will begin and I’M SO EXITED THAT I JUST CAN’T HIDE IT! I have been planning to attend this conference since late 2008 and now it will occur in just a few days. I’ve been doing the countdown for a few days and either calling friends or saying to coworkers, ___ mo’ days. Most of them say “_____ more days?”


“No,” I correct them. “I said ___ mo’ days.”



These conversations always end in laughter.

I am looking forward to so many things at this conference such as:
  1. Presenting a workshop on “The Power of Blogging.”
  2. Meeting many genealogists from around the world.
  3. Meeting online genealogist face-to-face.
  4. Browsing the vendor tables and discovering new genealogy books and other wares.
  5. Attending numerous workshops and learning new techniques to further my research.
  6. Breaking bread with other genealogists at the Luncheon and Banquet. Conversations over food is always a good thing!
  7. Researching at the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Room.
Research Plans
At the Allen County Public Library, I plan to research (1) Goodwyn Hunt and (2) Allen Pair, both who lived in Greensville County, VA. I do not know if I am kin to either of these men, however, I discovered both of them through research of my Greensville county family and I have found their lives and migrations interesting. I discovered the places where they migrated through either a census book index (Goodwyn Hunt) or online census index search (Allen Pair)

Goodwyn Hunt
Goodwyn Hunt was a free person of color born about 1797 in Virginia. He and several other Greensville County free persons of color, migrated to the Carthage area of Rush County, Indiana during the 1830s.

Allen Pair
Allen Pair was born around 1843. He was listed on the slave inventory in the estate of Howell Pair of Greenville County, VA In 1864. Allen Pair married Rebecca Jones on November 24, 1866 in Greensville County, VA. By 1880, he had moved to Leavenworth, Kansas.

Tweaking Presentation and Planning Wardrobe
I have spent the last few weeks tweaking my presentation and planning my conference wardrobe.

Earlier this month I did a dry run of the presentation for my local genealogy society. I’m glad that I did this because it helped me to see areas for improvement in the presentation.

African attire is encouraged to wear to the banquet and I have gone all out for this one. About a week ago, I ordered an African outfit online and it arrived in the mail two days later. Since its arrival, I have spent a lot of time buying accessories. I’ve consulted with my coworkers and some close friends on selecting just the right accessories and they are just as excited as me. I’m excited about my African Attire debut at the banquet next Friday night. I’ll share photos with my blog audience on next Saturday.

Five mo’ day and counting!

4 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

Looking forward to hearing all about the summit and seeing photos, too! Sending the best of luck for your search for goodwyn Hunt and Allen Pair!

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear and see all about this Dru! Have fun! So happy for you!

Amy Coffin said...

Have a great time! I look forward to reading your blog posts about the conference.

Unknown said...

Three Mo days! I'm excited too. Maybe anxious is a better word. I've spent most of yesterday and this morning catalog hunting. I Better stop, do some laundry and pack.

btw, I also checked the forecast, bring a light coat or raincoat. It's seasonably norm right now but we have had a few frosts and it's forecast to rain on Friday. Don't shoot the messenger, talk to Al Roker.