Monday, October 28, 2013

The African Americans: Many Rivers To Cross Series

In July 2013, while vising St. Louis, Missouri, I took a comfortable boat ride across the Mississippi River.
If the Mississippi River could talk, what stories would it tell?
I am excited to be a member of the African-American Genealogy and History Blogging Circle.  This team of outstanding African-American bloggers and I will be watching the six-part series "The African Americans:  Many Rivers to Crosswhich began on PBS Tuesday, October 22, 2013.  The African-American Genealogy and History Blogging Circle and I will be blogging about our own genealogical and historical research and family sagas in relation to the time periods reflected in each episode.  Our goal is to put our own historical and genealogical spin on the story as well. We have therefore created a blogging circle in which we will share our own family saga in relation to the time periods reflected in each episode.

The Many Rivers to Cross Series
This six part series covers 500 year of African American history and explores “the risks they took and the mountains they scaled.”  African American history, literature, and music are full of references to “rivers” and other bodies of water.  In some of these references, “rivers” are a barrier in between slavery and freedom.  Whether traveling on foot, by wagon or boat, reaching the other side of the river is often symbolic with success and victory.

Episodes and Time Periods of Many Rivers to Cross
  • Episode 1: The Black Atlantic (1500-1800)
  • Episode 2: The Age of Slavery (1800 - 1860)
  • Episode 3: Into the Fire (1861 - 1896)
  • Episode 4: Making a Way Out of No Way (1897-1940)
  • Episode: 5 Rise! (1940 - 1968)
  • Episode 6: It's Nation Time (1968 - 2013)

My Initial Thoughts About the Many Rivers to Cross Series
When I first learned about the “Many Rivers to Cross” series, I first thought about my African ancestors who survived the long voyage from Africa to American.  Many did not survive the journey, but although I do not know their names, I know that my ancestors survived.  The proof of their survival is ME!  After thinking about my African ancestors for a bit, my mind drifted back to more recent history—that is, my ancestors who migrated from small towns in Virginia and North Carolina in the early 20th century to larger cities in the North and South.  They too crossed a “many rivers” in order to move to new lands for a better life.

The African-Americans Many Rivers to Cross Trailer




African-American Genealogy and History Blogging Circle



1 comment:

Ms Vicky said...

# estorsus230 GenvihVery Nice Dru!! You say you are the proof. I add to that Aren't our ancestors wonderfull?