One helpful book that can be used to learn more about Civil War era customs and daily life is entitled “Everyday Life During the Civil War, A Guide for Writers, Students, and Historians” by Michael J. Varhola, ISBN #1582973377. I’ve had this book in my personal library for several years. This book includes information on the following topics during the Civil War.
- Dry Goods
- Life in City, Town, and Country
- Food and Diet
- Fun, Games, and Entertainment
- Slang and Idioms
- Arms, Equipment and Uniforms
- Civil War Time Line
- The Branches of the Armed Services During Civil War
- The View From the Homefront – Northern, Southern, Slavery, etc.
You can also take a peek inside this book on a website such as Amazon.com.
Note: I learned yesterday that a new edition of this book will be available next month. Click here to preview.