Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Memory Monday: School House Rock Songs

Originally posted Monday, September 6, 2010

Happy 45th Anniversary to School House Rock!

Recently, I began humming my favorite school house rock song “Conjunction Junction, What’s Your Function? This was a song from a series of school house rock songs which played in between Saturday morning television cartoons during my childhood in the 1970s. I think that the Conjunction tune was my favorite because of the jazzy styled music and lyrics.

Conjunction, Junction, What's Your Function?


In addition to being entertained by various cartoons during my childhood, the school house rock songs would help children learn new things or reinforce things already learned in school. Many of the catchy songs were about the parts of speech such as “Lolly, Lolly, Lolly, get your adverbs here,” or “Interjections show excitement or emotions! . . . ” There was also a song about how a bill becomes a law which opened up with a personified bill character (piece of paper rolled up) sitting on steps of the nation’s Capitol singing, “I’m just a bill, yes, I’m only a bill, and I’m sitting here on Capitol Hill . . .” The character then proceeds to explain the process of a bill becoming a law.

Thanks to YouTube, I am able to revisit my childhood memories and view and listen to these school house rock tunes from days gone by.

If you also remember these school house rock tunes, which one was your favorite?
====================
Lolly Lolly Lolly, Get Your Adverbs Here



Interjections!


How a Bill Becomes a Law

2 comments:

Diana Ritchie said...

Thanks so much for posting these!! They brought back memories for me as well. I had to forward the links to my sister - we used to be able to sing so many of these!! :-)

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Love these! Thanks for the reminder. I feel like a kid among Saturday cartoons again.