Monday, August 31, 2009

Memory Monday: A Demonstration of Love

During my high school years, our principal allowed us to have a Bible Study during lunch. It was available for any student who wanted to gather together during their lunch break to study the Bible. This was not formally advertised since technically, this was against the law during the 1980s. Students found out about this Bible study by word of mouth and I found out about it through my orchestra friend John. The teachers for the Bible study both taught English at our school.

I was the only black person who consistently participated in the group and I lived across town from the rest of them. My family did not have a car, but members of the Bible study, who either had their own cars or access to the cars of their parents, would give me a ride to our numerous gatherings outside of school. We had many gatherings at each other’s homes where we would have fun and fellowship. Because of the love shown to me from members of this group, I was able to participate in many of these gatherings. They didn’t have to take the time to drive across town (about a half hour or more), and give me a ride to the gatherings, but they did and I am eternally grateful to them for their demonstration of care and love.

On the occasion of this photo, a few members of the group came to my house for fellowship. (left to right) Chris (on guitar), Debbie (standing), Laura (sitting), and Brenda (holding music stand).

Today, I get together for monthly fun, food, and fellowship with three of the members of this Bible Study. BTW, I have my own car now, so I no longer have to depend on them for transportation. (Smile)

6 comments:

Mavis said...

A great story of true friendship and love!

Mavis

Anonymous said...

Oh girl you bring back such awesome memories...however did you get this pic? would luv to have one...Eva

Professor Dru said...

Eva,

I took this photo and have several photos of our Bible Study group in my photo collection.

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

I never realized it was illegal to study the Bible on your own time in American schools.
This is very different from my school where we offer prayer spaces (on request) for members of different religious communities.
Evelyn in Montreal

Herstoryan said...

It's inspiring to know that small actions can make such a huge and lasting impression. You never know someone might write about you 30 years from now for something you do tomorrow. Thank you for sharing :)

Sheri Fenley said...

True friends such as yours are hard to come by now-a-days. Life is so much richer when you have people like this to share it with.