Monday, June 29, 2009

Memory Monday: Lordy, Lordy, Look Who’s Forty!

On September 27, 2003, I celebrated my 40th birthday with a big birthday bash at a Chinese Restaurant. I had never given myself a birthday party, but I felt that it was what I should do. Turning 40 is a major life milestone and I wanted to celebrate, rather than be sad about getting older. One of my former supervisors had died suddenly in 1998 at age 37 and after this time, I viewed turning 40 as a blessing rather than a curse. Celebrities, whose untimely deaths influenced my attitude toward turning 40 were John F. Kennedy, Jr. ( died 1999) and Princess Diana (died 1997.) Both of them died before the age of 40.


About 38 family members and friends attended my birthday bash which was held at a local Chinese Restaurant. A good time was had by all!




This photo was taken after the party. As you can see from the smile on my face, it was a wonderful day! I was glad to find this chinese styled pants suit for my chinese themed party.






I had four young hostesses which included my two youngest nieces (seen here) and daughters of two of my coworkers. I was fortunate to find beautiful chinese styled tops for each of the girls.


I went low-tech and did this poster board display with photos from various times in my life. I had planned to do a PowerPoint slide show, but the poster board display worked out better.

This lovely birthday cake with a baby photo and an adult photo was delicious!



I received numerous gifts for my 40th birthday which made this birthday celebration extra special.

3 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

Happy Birthday, Professor Dru! You're still a "young chick"!

Barbara Poole said...

Looks like you had a great time. It took time and effort on your part, but I believe it paid off, because you have the memories now.

Robyn said...

I'm catching up on your blog so I'm sure I'll have a gazillion comments;) I enjoyed this post...I am 39! I felt the same way on my birthday although I thought most about Dr. King and Malcolm X. I thought about what kind of lasting impact they had in that short span if time. You look terrific in your birthday pictures! I still can't believe we didn't meet at NGS.