Monday, January 5, 2009

Memory Monday - Penny Candy

Today, I will begin a series entitled “Memory Monday.” I got this idea from Greta Koehl of Greta’s Genealogy Bog . In her posting about her 2009 New Years resolutions, she made the following statement:

"I usually refrain from making overly ambitious resolutions, so I am not going to make one of the big genealogy resolutions – writing down the story of my life for my own descendants. That’s just too large an undertaking. However, I can cut that resolution down to size: I resolve to do the job in small bites, a memory at a time. To that end I am going to aim at committing one memory a week to paper and if I succeed in doing that, it will show up on the blog for “Memory Monday.”

Writing our own memories is something that we genealogist tend to forget to do. I encourage all genealogy bloggers to join Greta and I in writing our own memories in small bites for Memory Monday.

I’ll start with a childhood memory about penny candy.


===============================

Gone are the days when penny candy actually cost one brown penny. Now it costs five cents or more for one piece of candy such as a Mary Jane. Real penny candy existed when I was a child during the 1970s. During these days, a child could be given pennies, nickels, or dimes, and they could march to the corner store and buy a bag full of sweet treats. The corner store closest to my house was around the corner and was owned by a retired mail carrier who lived on my street.

I salivated as I stared into the glass case of the candy counter staring at all the candy choices and telling the store clerk which candies I wanted and how many of each. The clerk would fill up a tiny brown paper bag full of my candy selections with treats like Mary Janes, Squirrel Nuts, bubble gum, or Twists that came in various sweet and sour flavors such as grape or watermelon.
After paying for my candy with pennies or other small coins, I would march home happily with my bag full of treats, while eating some on the way.

5 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

I'm getting ready to post my Monday Memory tonight.

Your post made me remember a couple of things.

(1) Candy I ate as a kid. Do you remember the chunks of chocolate (very tasty, as I remember) that came in different geometric shapes, about a dozen to a set? Also, I have to confess, I loved candy cigarettes (now that really dates me).

(2) How thrift stores have changed their name: five-and-dime, then just dime stores (that's what I remember them being called when I was little, so again - this dates me), recently dollar stores, and now I go to Five Below ($5 and below) to shop for stocking stuffers.

Hue Reviews said...

Aaaahhh...penny candy. and buying them from the lady on the corner. that's not safe anymore.

Professor Dru said...

You're right A. Spence, going to the corner store is not safe anymore. Also walking to the store as a child alone is not safe like it was when I was growning up.

Professor Dru said...

Greta, I don't remember chunks of chocolate, but I do remember candy cigarettes. Like most children of the time, I loved candy cigarettes.

I hope that they don't sell these anymore. That's not a positive thing to have a candy for kids that simulates smoking.

Greta Koehl said...

I'm pretty sure they don't sell candy cigarettes any more. Butter mints (and Kentucky mints - the ones with the green jelly inside) are just as good, anyway. (Not that I'm obsessed with candy or anything....)