Monday, September 1, 2008

Aunt Mary’s Notebook

Aunt Mary Johnson (1927-1986) was a sister of my maternal grandmother. One of the things I inherited of hers is a notebook which contains Bible study and church notes. A cousin gave me this 7.5 x 8 notebook that was written possibly around 1953 and 1954. Only two pages of this notebook contain dates. Most of the pages are handwritten, but one page it typewritten. When I was a young girl, I used to receive letters written from Aunt Mary. However, I do not have any of those letters now. The gift of this notebook is precious because it gives me a sample of Aunt Mary’s handwriting that I used to read many years ago. Aunt Mary served Little Mt. Zion Holy Church in White Plains, NY as Sunday school teacher, president of the choir, vice president of the missionary department, member of the usher board, and secretary. Some of these notes in this notebook may have been recorded as Church secretary.
Bible Study Notes

Typewritten Notes


Youth Day Offering

4 comments:

Hue Reviews said...

wow..how amazing! You have some great family treasures.

wendy said...

It's really great when we have these documents! Thanks so much for sharing!

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

I think handwritten notes are pretty special, too. Thanks for sharing Aunt Mary's notebook with us.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I love seeming ancestors handwriting. This note book is definitley a great treasure :)