Friday, March 21, 2008

Purpose of Find Your Folks Blog

Photo: My Uncle Oscar Bullock and family. Oscar Bullock was a brother of my great-great grandfather Andrew Bullock. Photo taken about 1929 in Norfolk, VA.


The Find Your Folks blog is a journal of my family history pursuits and will also serve as a vehicle for writing, sharing, and analyzing the histories of my various family branches and others in the communities I have been researching. Various topics will be discussed in this blog including the following:

  • African American genealogy
  • DNA
  • Free Negroes
  • Genealogy presentations
  • Migrations
  • Occupations
  • Oral history
  • Research methods Virginia and North Carolina records
  • Slavery and my enslaved ancestors
  • Southern History
  • Technology

My pursuit of family history began on the first Sunday afternoon in November 1994. Prior to this time, three events influenced me to want to know more about my family history. These events will be discussed more in depth in future postings in this blog.

  1. Oral history from my maternal grandmother.
  2. 1987 death of my paternal grandfather.
  3. 1989 Bullock family reunion in which a one page family history was distributed.


I thought I would be finished researching by now, but 13 years later, I am still pursuing my history. Through this pursuit, I have met so many people, both face-to-face and online. I never cared too much about history when I was in school, but now history has taken on a different meaning and I now understand its meaning and purpose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am just writing to say that I find your blog to be very informational and inspiring. I am just reviving my own family history research and look forward to piecing together my tree.